Thursday, November 3, 2011

Encouraging, Don't Criticize . . . .

My husband and I love going to the bookstore.  On our latest trip, I picked up Starting Your Day Right . . . Devotions for Each Morning of the Year by Joyce Meyer.  Here is the devotional for today:


Therefore encourage (admonish, exhort) one another and edify (strengthen and build up) one another.
1 Thessalonians 5:11

We can improve our relationships with other by leaps and bounds if we become encourages instead of critics.  It is the greater person who does the right thing;  Christ's righteousness dwells in you to help you do what is right.  You are great in God's eyes when you choose to do right and bless others.

No matter how rough your day is today, speak words that up lift and encourage those around ou.  Encourage others if you notice them doing a good job -- not just those who work with you, but people wherever you go, such as store clerks, auto mechanics, and waiters.  Say something like, "I appreciate the extra effort you are making to do your job well."  You can change your life and someone else's by choosing to speak positive words. 

 This one really made me think about the way I talk to the people I love.  I'm a pretty happy person.  I try to find the positive in most things.  However, there are times when I want to be honest and say how I feel.  Let's say I don't like someone's new hairstyle.  Instead of voicing my negative comments, I need to focus on something besides the hair.  It's not on my head, so I shouldn't worry about it!!  Then there is my husband . . . he's not the most talkative guy; However . . . . sometimes things fly out of his mouth before he has a chance to think about them.  I guess I'll have to force him to read this devotion.  We don't realize how the smallest comment can sit in someone's head and fester . . . until eventually there is an explosion!!  Make sure you take the time to say something nice to someone today . . . . 

More happy thoughts later . . . . xoxo Monica



No comments:

Post a Comment